Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I cannot take even one ounce of credit for this amazing recipe.  The great Katie Madsen introduced this recipe to Winn & Carol; they took it as an entry for their ward chili cook-off; they won first prize; ergo, it's an instant family classic. Here's how we make it at our house:

Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 chicken breasts, diced
Garlic salt
8 c. chicken broth (I use 8 c. water, 8 tsp. chicken bouillon powder)
1 can (10 oz.) Rosarita red enchilada sauce
1 c. salsa
2 cans kidney beans (we use one now, per kids)
2 cans corn (or 3 c. frozen)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Tortilla chips

Cook chicken & garlic salt in soup pot until chicken is cooked through.  Add next 5 ingredients and warm through.  Serve with other ingredients as toppings.  Many family members also like this as a simmer-in-the-crock-pot-all-day soup.


As long as the broth/ enchilada sauce/ salsa ratio stays the same, you can change the rest of the ingredients to your liking and still maintain the soup's integrity.  I like to subtract a can of beans and/or add a can of corn; and the photo here is on a night when I mistook my prep for Mulligatawny prep, and made some rice to add in.  It was just as delish as always.


And March 2025:


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I tried this the other night (and ate it for lunch the next few days) and I was sad when I ran out-it was so good! Next time I will notice the "simmer for an hour" before it is time to get dinner on the table! :) Great recipe!

Christi said...

Sorry that was me! :)