Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mulligatawny Soup

When I tasted this mulligatawny soup at our RS dinner in PA, I could hardly believe my mouth.  Thank you so much to my friend Michelle for sharing her recipe.  I changed it to be more stew-like. Since 2006, it has wowed many friends & family members!  My sister Christi submitted the recipe to Mel's Kitchen Cafe, who graciously took a fabulous picture of it for me, so ta-da!


Mulligatawny Soup

¾ c. olive oil
1 small onion (or ½ ) diced
4 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
½ c. flour
2 Tbs. curry powder
8 cups chicken broth
1 c. cooked rice
4 chicken breasts, diced
2 tsp. salt
½ tsp. thyme
½ tsp. pepper (optional)
1 small Granny Smith apple, diced
¾ c. cream

Thaw chicken if frozen. Cut vegetables and sauté 3 min. in olive oil. Add flour and curry and saute for a couple min.  Add broth and simmer for 20-30 min. (depending on how tender you want your vegetables).  Meanwhile, cut & cook chicken, simultaneously cooking rice.  Add every ingredient together except cream and simmer 10-15 min. longer.  Add cream right before serving hot with rolls or crusty dipping bread.
 
I use hot madras curry powder for the flavor it creates and the curry-green color I love.  I usually end up adding more rice, which makes it thicker. 
To make gluten-free, check your chicken broth (this sometimes has gluten in it) and use corn starch instead of flour.


No comments: