Saturday, December 31, 2011

Red Onion Salad

If I had created/ changed/ enhanced this recipe at all,
I could take the liberty of changing the name to something with more pizazz. 
But.  I got it from my wonderful MIL Carol's
Alpine 5th Ward cookbook around 1995 again,
and so the name stays.  And the salad is heavenly.
 
After it's been marinating overnight in all its happiness:

 Served over the greens in its lusciousness:


Red Onion Salad

½ red onion, chopped
½ lb. sliced mushrooms             
1½ c. sugar
¾ c. red wine vinegar
¾ c. vegetable oil
1½ t. poppy seeds
1½ t. salt
¾ t. dry mustard
1-2 lbs. bacon, cooked & chopped
1 c. cottage cheese
1 c. mozzarella cheese
1 bunch spinach
Yummy lettuce
Optional: carmelized almond slivers

Mix onion, mushrooms, sugar, vinegar, oil, poppy seeds, salt & dry mustard together, and marinade overnight or for several (6 or more) hours.  Add bacon & cheeses, then serve over greens.

Note:  Do not mix with greens too far in advance, as the spinach wilts quickly.  When I'm bringing this to an event, I like to bring the greens separately, then combine it all when I arrive.


No comments: