Monday, March 17, 2025

Potato Salad

I have taken ideas for potato salad from so many places. Here's what I've landed on. Add whatever you want!

Potato Salad

2 large baking potatoes
9-12 eggs
Dill pickles, cut into bite-sizes
1/3 c. mayo
1/3 c. Miracle Whip
1 1/2 T. dijon
1/8 c. fresh dill weed chopped (or 1 T. dry)
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. paprika
Optional:
3 scallions (green onions), sliced small
1 large shallot (or 1/2 red onion), minced
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked well and crumbled
1-2 stalks celery, diced small

Scrub or peel potatoes, and cut into bite sizes. Start potatoes and eggs boiling simultaneously. When eggs water starts to boil, set a timer and boil for 15 more min. (I like mine cooked all the way through, but not gray). While they boil, chop all veggies & herbs. Once eggs are peeled and chopped, mix all ingredients together, adding more of whatever you want to taste!

To add moisture and flavor, Grandma Madsen adds some of the pickle juice. She also uses dried onions instead of fresh. Such a good idea. =)






A note on eggs: The older eggs get, the less moisture they have in them, and the inner membrane begins to pull away from the shell. Therefore, they are easier to peel. If you have a choice to boil newer or older eggs, choose the older ones! 

Floating your eggs in water will tell you if they are still fresh enough to eat. I suspected these ones, so I overfilled the pot before I started boiling them and, sure enough, some floated. I threw those away, but see how the others are also "standing up?"


Here's how they turned out after cooked and peeled:


See how some of the egg is missing? This is what's happening inside the shell as they get older.

Print Potato Salad

No comments: