Monday, March 21, 2011

Barbeque Meatloaf

I had never liked meatloaf until I had this version.  And now it's a family favorite.  I know exactly where I got this recipe, and I think about it every time I make it:  the great church cookbook, Alpine Utah 5th Ward, 1995.  When I track down the genius woman's name, I'll put it on here.

The perfect name for this dish is Meatloaf for People Who Hate Meatloaf.  Here it is.

Barbeque Meatloaf

1 lb. hamburger
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. poultry seasoning
½ tsp. dried mustard
¼ tsp. pepper
4 slices dried bread (I use Italian Panko bread crumbs now or Saltines!)
¼ c. onion, fresh (minced) or dried
¼ c. celery, minced

Sauce:
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. ketchup
1 mounded T. dried mustard
¼ tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.  Toast bread and set aside to dry (unless using bread crumbs).  Mix together first 6 ingredients with your hands.  You really can't be sure it's fully incorporated without getting into it all the way!  In a food processor, crumb bread.  Afterward, process celery & onion until minced.  Mix into loaf and and put in loaf pan.  Prepare sauce, poke holes all over meatloaf and pour sauce over the top.  Cover with foil and bake for 50-60 min. until cooked through.  Serve with baked potatoes and sour cream.


4 comments:

Christi said...

I was a meatloaf hater until this one came along. Now we love it-Thank you for the great recipe! I've got my in-laws hooked. :)

David and Jana said...

I've gotten complimets from your meatloaf as well, its a keeper! Love you!

Tara said...

Yum, all the recipes on here look so good, I've got a whole list of ones I want to try out!

Melanie said...

Good! This will be so fun.